Effective May 25, 2018.
Why I Collect and Use Your Information
I use your information for a couple of purposes:
- To enable me to provide you with my Services, and to improve and promote my Services;
- To create and administer your account, contact you, and customize your experience on Maia Hariton (for example, to show you emails that I think may interest you based on your previous email or website activity); and
- To track and analyze use of the Services so that I can improve how Maia Hariton is performing and provide users with the best experience possible.
- To verify compliance with applicable legal requirements and our policies.
I process personal data because this is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and I, for my compliance with my legal obligations and for the purpose of my legitimate interests. In particular, my legitimate interests are my commercial company interest (e.g. to improve my products and services), my interest to make use of direct marketing, my interest to prevent fraud and my interest to report possible criminal acts or threats to competent authorities. Some of the personal data that I process is required for me to meet my legal obligations, for example I cannot create an account for you if you choose not to share your personal data with me.
What Types of Information Do I Collect and Receive and How?
I collect information in the following ways:
- Information you provide by completing forms on my website, such as my newsletter sign-up forms, surveys, or other forms
- Details of any requests, activity, or transactions you make through the Services. My Site Maia Hariton partners with other companies (such as MailChimp and Squarespace) for email marketing and payment processing. The payment information you submit is collected and used by Squarespace in accordance with their privacy policies. I do not store your payment information;
- Information about your activity on and interaction with my Site Maia Hariton, including use of my website (such as your IP address, the type of device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site) and email newsletter (such as what links you click and if and when you open the email) — I use Google Analytics and MailChimp for gathering this data;
- Communications you send to me (for example, when you ask for support, send me questions or comments, or report a problem);
- Information that you submit on or to my Site Maia Hariton in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users;
I may collect other types of personal data if required under applicable law or if necessary for the purposes listed above. I will then inform you and ensure that there is a valid legal basis for doing so.
You may decline to provide me with your information and ask that your information be removed. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use my Services. For example, if you decline, you may not receive my email newsletter. You may review, change or remove your information through your account settings.
I collect certain personal data by using cookies, including similar technologies such as local storage when you visit the website.
- To gather website statistical data to analyze how my users use the website, such as which pages are visited, how long pages were visited and the paths taken by visitors to my website as they move from page to page. These cookies are placed by the domain https://maiahariton.com;
- To provide authentication for any upcoming products where log-in is required so that I can keep you logged in between sessions. The information collected using local storage is stored on your browser and persists after your browser is closed.
How Do I Protect Your Data and Who Else Receives Your Information?
In some cases, I may share basic information like your first name, last name initial, and home state with the public. For example, if I announce you as the winner of a giveaway in my newsletter, I may write “Congratulations to Ellen D. (OH) on winning my giveaway!”. In these instances, I will ask you for consent to display this information. I may share your social media handle(s) in our communications if you have meaningfully interacted with me or my Services. For example, if you win a giveaway on Instagram, I may write, “Congratulations to @janedoe on winning my giveaway!” I do not ask for explicit consent to display this type of information as you are interacting in a public forum with me and other users of the service, using a public profile name.
I may also share certain communications you send to me (for example, an email message or comment about how much you liked the Services I offer). I typically scrub these communications of any personally identifiable information such as your email address or full name.
The following data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users, unless you grant me explicit consent:
- Any payment information you provide;
- Your email address;
- Your mailing address;
- Your IP address;
- Any other private profile information, in accordance with your account settings and profile; and
- Communications you send to me (for example, when you ask for support, send me questions or comments, or report a problem).
In some instances, I may also share your information to the following parties and for the following reasons:
- Competent public authorities or other third parties, if required by law or reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of ourselves or others.
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations. I employ these companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products and services to you.
I do not sell, rent or trade your personal information.
You have a right to a copy of the information I have about you. Contact me for more information. You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account (such as your name, mailing address, etc.) from your account settings. A link to your account settings can be found at the bottom of every email we send you.
I retain your data for the shortest amount necessary to provide you with my Services. Typically, I will retain most of the personal data for the duration of your use of the website and Services. Note that even after the deletion of your account, I still retain information about your past activity with the email newsletter, but your personal information will be non-identifiable.
How I Work With Third-Parties
As noted above, I may share your information with certain trusted third-party services and brand partners (example: MailChimp who helps me deliver the newsletters, or when I partner with payment processors, or use Google Analytics to help me understand how my site is being used and how to attract more customers). When I share data with third-party services that support my delivery of my Services, I require that they use your information only for the purposes I’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards I do. I do not release or sell private and personally identifiable information.
Data transfers outside the EEA
I may transfer the personal data I obtain to third parties in countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The laws in those countries may not offer an adequate level of data protection. In particular, personal data may be transferred to the United States.
When I transfer your personal data outside the EEA, I will protect your personal data as described in this Privacy Statement and in accordance with applicable law, such as by entering into the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data to a processor located outside of the European Union.
Users residing in certain countries, including the EU, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable globally, all users can manage their personal information, as further described below, in their account settings. A link to your account settings can be found at the bottom of every email I send you.
My site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that I do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You can request a downloadable copy of your personal data from Maia Hariton by contacting me using the information provided below.
Additional Rights for EEA Users
If You live in the European Economic Area, or a similar international area, You may have additional privacy rights available to You under applicable laws. I will process Your requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If You would like to exercise any of the below rights, please contact me so that I may consider Your request in accordance with applicable law:
- Right not to provide or withdraw consent: You have the right not to provide or withdraw Your consent at any time.
- Right of access: You may have the right to access the Personal Data that You provided Me.
- Right of erasure: You may have the right to the erasure of Personal Data that Me hold about You.
- Right to object to processing: You may have the right to request that Maia Hariton stop processing Your Personal Data and/or to stop sending You marketing communications.
- Right to rectification: You may have the right to require Me to correct any of Your Personal Data.
Our Policy on Children
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use my services on their own. I do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use my Services. If you believe that a child has provided me with personal information, please contact me. If I become aware that a child under age 13 has provided me with personally identifiable information, I will delete it.
If you have questions about this policy, or about the site, please contact me. I’ll make every effort to resolve your concerns.